A Million Word Song

a href="http://youtube.com/watch?v=aIeijl4_m-0">

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

English Question 2: Ender's Game



Are there are any current situations in the world that relate to the novel? What are they, and how do they relate? Does the novel shed any light on how current situations could be resolved or "fixed"?

A big aspect in this novel is the LOI (Lack Of Integrity) a.k.a. lying.

Ender hardly ever is told the truth and a majority of his training is a lie.

“You never asked me! You never told me the truth about anything!”
“You had to be a weapon, Ender. Like a gun, like the Little Doctor, functioning perfectly but not knowing what you were aimed at. We aimed you. We’re responsible. If there was something wrong, we did it.”


This is a conversation between Ender and Mazer after Ender learns that his final test was not a game. It not only demonstrates but also proves my point on the amount of lies that a person must go through to find the core of what is real in life. Does this remind you of anything in out everyday lives? Well what do you think about this statement? Pretty much everything in our life is a lie. How do you define truth? Something that is not false? What is not false besides God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit or the Trinity? Nothing.

So how does this relate to our world today? In our world today we are assailed with colossal lies by television and newspaper and radio Medias. They all want us to believe these pictures that they paint for us, but how many are actually true? How many actually show what is really happening in the world and the true situations in the world? The world tells us just to do things that make us ‘feel good’. Well, what is ‘feeling good’? Is ‘feeling good’ getting drunk and injuring or killing yourself and/or other people by your actions? Is ‘feeling good’ getting ‘high’ and killing your brain cells that will never grow back? Is ‘feeling good’ living only for yourself? No.

Ender had a gift. He used his gift and he saved Earth. But was all of the lying really necessary? In this book lying was deemed the only way, but in our lives we can accomplish goals and tasks without lying. I think the way Ender felt like he had been forgiven was by allowing the new queen to live and finding a safe place for her to stay. The moral: Seek the truth, and you will find it.



Here are some of the lyrics to the video above:

So long I’ve been
Puttin’ all my effort into you
My heart is bare
I’ve been lookin’ everywhere for truth
You know exactly what you’re doing to me
That’s okay 'cause I’m not playin’ any more

I see what you’re tryin’ to hide
Didn’t take me long to realize
You can’t fool me with your disguise
I can see right through your lyin’ eyes
Take your shot, push me around
You’re never gonna take me down
So get outta my face with your masquerade

Since I’ve moved on
Things are goin’ every way but wrong
It’s a brighter day (whisper) across the sky
A new life, new friends
It’s got me wonderin’ where I’ve been
I was in a haze
I know you’re still bearin’ down on me
That’s okay ’cause I’m not runnin’ any more

This really applies to what I was saying about Ender and the Lack of Integrity. Ender was looking for truth when he went to the bugger's home world, and I think that in a way he found it. You can relate this whole song to Ender's journey: He was living in a lie, everything since the day he was born was a lie (1st stanza). He saw all the lies when the fact was revealed to him that his 'final test' was the destruction of the bugger home world (2nd stanza). He went to the bugger world and found peace (3rd stanza). (Please excuse the fact that this IS NOT the official music video for Masquerade, my response is based only on the lyrics above)

http://www.abcgallery.com/B/bruegel/bruegel86.html

IMPORTANT NOTE **I edited this picture**

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NWsLsrpHSc

No comments: